Brows play an important role in the overall symmetry of the face. They also enhance our features, giving us a youthful and bright appearance. It no longer matters if your natural brows have always been sparse or have become sparse due to a medical condition. With so many options before us, everyone can have great brows.
You can always draw on your brows using high-end cosmetics. If you find that cumbersome, you can go for the super popular, powder brows. The latter is a form of permanent makeup and it gives you realistic-looking brows for days. Speaking of, one question that seems to be on everyone’s mind is how permanent powder brows are, do they last forever, or do they have an expiration date?
Let’s find out:
What are Powder Brows?
Powder brows – or ombre brows – have been the talk of the town lately, and rightfully so. It is a type of permanent makeup that involves the using a tattoo machine to apply a fine, powder-like pigment to the eyebrows. This technique can be used to fill in gaps, create a more defined shape, or add color to the eyebrows, giving them a fuller and more natural-looking appearance.
The pigment is applied to the skin using a machine with different needle configurations, which creates a fine mist of color that mimics the appearance of a fuller-looking brow. Do not confuse powder brows with microblading as the two procedures differ in technique and results.
Who are the Best Candidates for Powder Brows?
Powder brows are godsent for people who love to have fully defined and shaped brows but don’t want the daily upkeep of using products.
Powder brows are also great for people with oily skin, since microblading isn’t always ideal for this type of skin. Truth be told, everyone is a prime candidate for powder brows, and that is one of the many reasons behind its popularity.
How Long Do Powder Brows Last?
Powder brows can last for 18-24 months, depending on factors such as skin type, age, and aftercare. Some people may need to have the pigment touched up every few years to maintain their desired look.
The average lasting period of powder brows is between 18-24 months with no touch-ups. During this time, your brows will appear crisp and the color will remain fresh. When the brows start losing their defined shape, it is an indication that they are reaching their expiration date. Booking in with your Permanent Makeup Artist to help you decide if it’s time for a refresh.
How To Make the Powder Brows Last Longer?
If you want your brows to last a full 18 months, it is important to follow the aftercare instructions provided by the technician. It is also important for your permanent makeup artist to employ best practices
The following precautions and changes in lifestyle will ensure that the pigment stays in place and does not fade prematurely. Here’s what you and your artist must do to make sure your powder brows last longer:
- Avoid pulling or picking at the scabs when the brows are healing after the treatment as this can also pull the pigment from the skin before it has a chance to settle.
- If you have oily skin, go for a touch-up session after about a year to freshen up your powder brows.
- Avoid certain skincare products such as retinol, tretinoin, Accutane, acids, or any chemical that causes peeling and increases the cell turnover rate.
- Avoid physical activities during the healing process that may cause excessive sweating because sweat lightens up the pigment in your brows and fades them faster than they normally do.
- Avoid swimming in the ocean excessively. The salt found in our sweat extracts the pigment and by the same phenomenon, so does salt water.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight as it breaks down the particles in the pigment and makes them fade faster. Wear SPF at all times. If your work includes being out in the sun frequently, protect your brows by wearing a baseball cap and/or oversized sunglasses.
- Choose an artist who only uses high-quality pigment when performing the procedure. This might raise the overall cost of the treatment but will save you from going for frequent touch-ups within a year.
With these precautionary measures, you can enjoy the results of your powder brows for more than a year.
How Painful is the Procedure?
A major cause of concern amongst many new clients is the pain level associated with the procedure. There is no definite answer to this. The procedure can be entirely painless for people with high pain tolerance, especially since it is paired with a numbing cream.
On the contrary, people with low pain tolerance will feel some levels of discomfort despite the topical application of the numbing cream. But overall should be comfortable with the topical numbing application.
Taking Tylenol before the procedure, not waxing until a week before the appointment, no chemical peelings, etc. are some of the things you can do to minimize the pain.
In general, most people tolerate the procedure well and do not experience significant pain.
Say No to Sparse Brows with Reflective Beauty Boutique
If you are finally convinced that powder brows are worth the hype they get, do not hesitate to try them firsthand. You will thank your lucky stars for making that decision every time you head out of the house without touching your brow pencils, brow gel, or any kind of brow paraphernalia.
If you are a resident of Calgary, AB, head over to the Reflective Beauty Boutique.
Our team of trained and certified brow experts takes every measure to ensure that your brows last longer. We take your personal preferences seriously and aim to surpass your expectations in terms of customer service, results, and level of comfort.